Sunday, February 13, 2011

Week Five: Majority of Physical Processing Complete

I am proud to say that I completed the final bits of arrangement and refoldering/folder labeling for the Claxon mss. II collection on Thursday afternoon. Archival intern triumph (and I had the sore wrist to prove it--I must learn to write in pencil on archival folders using less pressure, hah hah)! There are, however, still a number of details that I need to wrap up. Though I have the majority of my inventory complete, I still need to write up scope content notes, biographical history, and other administrative information relevant to the collection. I have most of this information typed up in various notes, so I don't think it will be a difficult undertaking. I have experience doing this at the University Archives, and I am curious to learn as to how the process may differ at the Lilly Library.

As I may have discussed in the past, there are slightly different chains of responsibility in launching finding aid content online between the Lilly Library, University Archives, and other repositories on campus. The Lilly Library works with its own cataloging department and EAD encoder(s); the University Archives staff, devoid of individual catalogers, must catalog collections on their own and work directly with EAD encoders. Near-finished products from both repositories are sent to the IU Digital Library Program staff, who deal with the technical details that I don't understand, enabling finding aids to be launched on the Indiana University Finding Aid site for user access. As I mentioned in a previous post, I volunteer at Wylie House Museum in efforts to create finding aids for some of their archival collections (materials from the Wylie Family, which includes the first University President). I can certainly understand the benefits of working in a larger organization, such as the Lilly, as opposed to a small museum with a full staff of three, when it comes to embarking on time consuming tasks such as this EAD initiative!

Getting back on track from that tangent, there are also a few physical details with remain to be finalize with Claxon mss. II. These include identifying proper housing for two oversized items, re-incorporating items sent to preservation for fragility and possible mold concerns, finalizing cataloging of two books which will move to the Lilly's book collection, labeling boxes, ensuring that materials fit properly within boxes, updating finding aid lists with this new inventory, etc. In summary, there is still plenty of work to be done, but I am feeling good about the way things are going.

On that note, I took several snapshots of materials in the Claxon mss. II collection. I was about to post them here, but it just dawned on me that I am not entirely sure what the Lilly Library's policy is concerning photographs, public posting of photographs online, and proper citation format. For these reasons, I will hold off on posting any images until I am able to discuss the issue with my supervisors next week. Like any informed researcher, I know that it is extremely important to be compliant with library policies and copyright restrictions when it comes to online content. On that note, I think that an appropriate reading to supplement this issue the book Privacy & Confidentiality Perspectives: Archivists & Archival Records, edited by Menzi L. Behrnd-Klodt & Peter J. Wosh. I checked this book out from the library at the beginning of the semester, and I plan to select an article or two for my next internship reading.

I still plan to write up a post on preservation and conservation issues. Please do look out for this in the near future as well.

Now, I'm off to emerge into the apparently budding springtime weather breaking through in Bloomington today! Yes, I'm just walking to the library, but that still counts as "outdoor time" for a graduate student.

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment